I woke up at the crack of dawn, well for me it was…I thought about getting up but for some reason was very tired and instead, dropped back off to sleep. It did not matter as we have nothing planned for the day 

We went out walking after I finally struggled out of bed and ended up at “the girls” RV where both Daniel and Malinda were sitting having said goodbye to Lucas and Shyrl who have moved on this morning. We sat there and chatted for a while and then Malinda left, and I quickly followed leading the dogs.

We wandered around dodging from one shady area to the next and not staying very long out in the sun. We were only out long enough for the dogs to get some exercise and to do their business before heading back to The Caboose. I am not interested in long hikes with it being so hot. 

Back inside, I concentrated on the world news which again is nothing but gloom and doom. There is nothing I can say or do to change the sorry state of the world and its inhabitants. I turned my attention to bringing the blog up to date having slipped a couple of days with the posting.

I am trying to keep my Bastrop BJ happy by not posting too far behind but if for any reason, I do not stay caught up, then it results in missing days. Not that it matters that much as I have very few followers and no one will complain if the blog is missing or not up to date. 

We are in the middle of a heat wave which is not all that unusual for Texas but even so, this one does not show any sign of breaking soon. A high of 102-103 is now the norm and believe me, it is bloody hot. When we go out walking the dogs, they are torn between the blacktop which is hot on their little feet or in the grass which is cooler but totally inundated with stickers.

We are always stopping so they can pull them out or in Sandy’s case, waiting for her dad to pull them out resulting in me getting the darn things stuck in my fingers. I hate stickers as much as the dogs do…Maybe they need little doggy bootees, or I should bring gloves or tweezers with me when we are outside.? 

By 2:30 pm, I was all caught up with the blog and was looking around for other things to get up to. I had to post a Poem from my Archives as the creative juices were just not flowing and although I tried to write poetry, it was just not the day for it.  

I had put some Beef slices on the indoor cooker and had been keeping an eye on them as they cooked. The cooker turns itself off when it thinks the meat is cooked. The last time I checked, it had done just that, so I put the meat in the fridge and then spent 15 minutes cleaning up the unit and the countertop which required soaking the parts first.

With the cleanup done and the meat put away, I looked around for other things to do. We did a lot of sitting around inside in the cool, sometimes listening to an Audiobook and at other times, just sitting quietly with my eyes closed. Not asleep but very relaxed.

The time passed and we went out for the final walk of the day just wandering around, dodging from one shade to the next and trying hard not to be in the direct sun if at all possible. We sat outside for a while as it had started to cool off and we had a nice breeze blowing. Then finally, I brought in the bird feeders, and we closed the door on the outside world for another day. 

Written 07/19/2023. Read my other blog at https://pondblog2011.com 

An Old Man and an RV. Henly RV Park,TX. Thursday 07/20/2023 

I can barely remember what this wet stuff is called…

I got up as soon as the alarm went off ready to face the day and whatever it might bring. The first thing was to harness up the dogs for the all-important first walk of the day although I had to take care of the bird feeders before we could go walking.

While I was doing just that, Daniel walked over to the break room and hollered at me. By the time I had hit the dumpsters and took the long way back to where we sit in the mornings, he had a cup of coffee waiting for me. Daniel had a couple of Grandkids staying over and they joined us as we sat and talked. Then Malinda came over leading Remington, and before we knew it, the gang was all here!

We broke up after a bit and we continued with our walk, heading in the general direction of the girls’ RV.  They had some new outdoor furniture that they proudly showed off and we sat there and chatted for a bit. Then Malinda and Remington joined us, and after a while, I left to continue walking the dogs before it warmed up too much. 

Back at The Caboose, I tied the dogs up outside and went about the business of filling the hummingbird feeders which had been dry for a couple of days. Not only does the sun warm everything up, but it also evaporates the mixture in those feeders. While I was at it, I watered the flowers that sit on both sets of steps leading up to the deck and trimmed them as needed. At least the deer are not brave enough to come that close to the RV… yet. 

With the immediate outside chores taken care of, we went back indoors, and I tried to get Sandy to take her medicine but to no avail. I made breakfast and coffee for myself and sat in front of the computer while I ate it. 

I worked on the blog after reading the World news marveling at some people’s utter stupidity, thinking that many of them deserve everything they get, and more. We have nothing planned for today that requires going into town or come to that, leaving the RV except for walking the dogs. It usually takes at least 2 hours a day to write and post the blog and as I have mentioned many times before, I need to stay up to date as memory recall is getting more and more difficult. Maybe, some of that is because nothing earth shattering happens in my life and that is the way I like it. The day-to-day things are just that, day-to-day things…

Besides, no one is interested that I put on my boots or drank a cup of coffee or made a fuss of the dogs. The rest of the day was uneventful as I found things to do inside The Caboose like cleaning and dusting and putting things away. It was way too hot to be outside and it was not until later in the evening, did we go out for that last walk of the day. We wandered around the park and on the outside lane leading to Hwy 290 mostly because it has the most shade. We did not see any of the exotics. 

Written 07/20/2023. Read my other blog at https://pondblog2011.com