It’s that time of the year

It was an uneventful night, and we awoke late at around 9:30 am before going for the first walk of the day. With our new location, we have changed our walking route a little and now walk more on the grassy area at least if it is dry. Sandy can get her little feet dirty enough without walking in wet grass. We wandered back to Mr. George and had our usual breakfast and coffee although the dogs do not seem to eat much in the morning. 

I had a lot of trouble with the internet both with the park system and my Netgear booster and gave up on writing for a bit. I had several things planned and today was a good day for them. I have mentioned before that RV’s are unique in many ways in areas like septic system which is from the toilet and separately, a grey water tank which is the liquid from showers, sinks etc. and such and the need to keep an eye on them. Remember, that although we are hooked to a septic system, the unit inside the RV does not work like a house. In an RV, the black water as the septic is known does not flow freely as the valve is closed on purpose. Otherwise, the solids (poop) stay in the tank as the liquids flow out making for an uncomfortable smelly situation. When the valve is opened, the water rushes out carrying with it the solids which happens most of the time. Occasionally, it does not hence the buildup. 

Periodically, even being careful, this creates a problem that requires the use of a special plastic wand with a jet nozzle on the business end attached to a water hose to flush and break out these little mountains that build up. It is a straightforward job and only takes 10 minutes. I put on my Covid mask so that I don’t have to put up with the smell and spray a lot of aerosols around to help clear it up. 

With that job out of the way and vowing to myself to not use as much toilet paper and to make sure it is the single ply sort that breaks down quickly, I turned my attention to the next thing on the list which was to wash the hummingbird feeders and refill them with the clear stuff that I bought yesterday. That at least went well, and I debated about moving the shepherds crook to the other side of the RV which is more in the sun in the hope of attracting more birds but in the end, decide to wait and see. 

Finally, with the small chores out of the way, I moved on to the next project that today was going to be laundry day. I gathered up my dirty clothes hamper making sure I had detergent and my phone with me and walked over to the laundry room which is now much closer to me. I found a machine that was empty and this time, as I only needed one, loaded it up, added detergent and crossed my fingers that the App would work. Luckily for me, it did, and I wandered back to Mr. George to wait out the wash cycle. Thirty-five minutes later, I was back in the laundry room transferring the clothes into a dryer before wandering back to the RV. 

Daniel stopped by with the stepladder, and we discussed what I wanted to do. He did not think it would work so we experimented with the awning and lowered it down when it was extended. True to his thoughts, when I retracted the awning, it sprang back to the original setting and if it had been tightened, would have damaged it. So, out goes the window that piece of action and once again, he has proved to be right. Thanks Daniel. 

I had an hour to kill and spent it on the internet researching some things that interested me before going back one more time to fold the laundry and bring it back. All the time I was in the laundry room, I never saw any other campers although all the machines were in use. Most unusual. I did not bother to put the laundry away as I usually do, instead taking the dogs out walking immediately as the weather had turned grey and there was promise of rain later. I did not want to be caught out in it. We sure could use rain as things are really starting to grow and turn green. 

We walked around the park and barked at a couple other dogs along the way before returning to the RV where I wrote for a while. The internet problem appeared to have cleared up although I had to use the booster and I watched as it came on to rain, congratulating ourselves for our timing and settled down to write some more. I eventually got around to putting the laundry away before working on the evening meal. I forgot to mention, that I has stripped the bed to wash the sheets and remade it with a clean set that I have. This time, it went very well maybe because I would not let Mikey jump up to help although he tried very hard to do just that and looking at me with his big brown eyes as if to say, “Come-on Dad. You know you can’t do this without me.” 

The rest of the evening was uneventful and was finished in the usual way, food all around and watching the EPL. 

Written 04/19/2022. Read my other blog at https://pondblog2011.com