I had set the alarm to wake us up at 6:30 am but if it went off, I did not hear it and eventually awoke a little after 7:00 am. I scrambled around and took the dogs out for a very brief walk before returning them to Quatro. They both looked at me as if to say, “What is wrong with you this morning” as I rushed around and stepped out of the door and into the Jeep. 

The drive into town was a bit faster than I really should have as I was supposed to drop the Jeep off at Whitlock Repairs at 8:00 am although as it happened, the traffic was light even through Dripping Springs. I arrived on time and then had to sit and wait a half hour for my ride back to Quatro. I was driven by a young man who looked like he was a High School Senior and although he tried to make conversation, I had a tough time hearing what he said and, in the end, he gave up.  

I have a hearing appointment tomorrow which my good friend B.J. has offered to drive me to so maybe some of this hearing problem will be cleared up. At least, I can get the hearing aids adjusted which will help. No telling how long the Jeep will take to get repaired. 

Back in Quatro, the dogs were happy to see me, and we went out for a short walk. It has cooled off considerably and the forecast for the next few days is more of the same only with freezing temperatures. I might even have to put on long pants… 

I sat and wrote for a while after spending time with both emails and the World news. My son, Phillip, who had a birthday yesterday, emailed me to say that the health news is good for him for which I am very thankful. He is currently undergoing radiation treatment for prostate cancer. Been there, done that…I wonder if it is hereditary. 

We have nothing planned for the rest of the day except to go out walking and then, to stay inside in the warmth. I cannot go anywhere anyway as I have no wheels. As the English expression says, all I have is Shanks’ Pony (Look that one up!). 

I sat around not doing very much. I would think of something that needed attention and then work on it and when it was finished sit down for a bit and try to think of something else. This went on for a couple of hours and then it was time for walkies. I did put on my long sweatpants and was glad of them. The Park was quiet, so we took the outside lane after dropping trash and walked it almost to the end before returning to the RV. Altogether for the day, we covered 1.6 miles. 

The rest of the evening was spent writing the blog and then food and entertainment. 

Written December 20, 2022. Read my other blog at https://pondblog2011.com

The Diary of an Old Man and an RV. Henly RV Park, Dripping Springs, TX Day 21, Wednesday 12/21/2022

I got up early for us and took a shower. With the upcoming freeze warning, who knows when I get to take the next one…We went out walking the park and then the hill outside and covered 7/10 s of a mile. One of the dogs in a fenced area came over to say hello to Sandy, talking all the time. They rubbed noses and then Sandy decided she had said enough, and we went on our way, 

We finished the walk and adjourned back inside of Quatro where it was nice and warm, for breakfast and the all-important coffee and then settled down to read emails before working on the blog. I had arranged with my good friend, B.J., that she would come over to take me to see Doctor Bittar with whom I had an appointment. He is my ear doctor and I have been going to see him for more than 40 years. We met after I broke my nose playing football, the English and rest of the World kind. 

She arrived at the designated time, and we made the drive into Austin to Ben White where the doctor’s office is found. Dropping me off, B.J. went shopping and I got in the elevator for the trip to the third floor. I was hoping that I could also see the Audiologist, but it turns out she was on vacation, but I did get to see the Doctor who went about the business of cleaning the wax from my ears. Suddenly, I could hear again, and I felt like I was attached to the rest of the world. We chatted for a bit before and he assured me that he has no thoughts on retiring yet. I left after making my next appointment which is in June of next year. When I get the Jeep back, I will get the hearing aids adjusted or replaced.

I had called B.J., and she was waiting for me, and took me to Walmart’s as I needed supplies including bottled water, especially with no wheels and an upcoming freeze, weatherwise. We did separate shopping and I wandered around finding all the things I needed and $170.00 later, checked out. B.J. had already checked out and brought the car around for me to load my groceries. Incidentally, she had called me to warn me that the checkout lines were exceptionally long, which they were although they moved along albeit, slowly. 

I had received a call from Whitlock Automotive, and they told me what was wrong and of course, how much it would cost to repair. I gave them the go ahead but it will be next week before I get the Jeep back. Good job I stocked up. 

B.J. drove us back and although it was rush hour, we made good time. She helped me unload the groceries and refused my offer of payment for the gas. I thanked her profusely before she made the long drive of almost 70 miles back to Bastrop. It is truly great to have such a friend. 

The dogs were all excited to see me back and without putting the groceries away, except for the freezer items, we went out walking the park dodging from one interesting smell to the next, at least for the dogs. Me, I could not smell anything that I needed to dwell on. 

Back in the RV, I finished putting the groceries away and we settled down to our usual evening pastime of food, wine and TV. 

Written December 22, 2022. Read my other blog at https://pondblog2011.com