Notice the Zebra in the background.

I awoke just before the alarm and got out of bed at once otherwise I would have given in to the temptation of snoozing. We harnessed up and then I noticed that I had forgotten to bring in the bird feeders last evening and of course, the deer had a field day emptying them. So, the first order of the day was to refill them all with seed and then rehang them in their usual places. 

In the meantime, the birds were almost lined up waiting for me to get out of the way and went to town the minute we went out walking. We wandered around stopping to chat to a couple of other campers doing the same thing before returning to The Caboose. 

Gary had just arrived at the Break Room and hollered at me to come over for coffee. I left the dogs on the deck and wandered over to where Gary was sitting. The two of us sat and chatted for 30 minutes or so before he left for his RV, and I went back to mine.

He is a very interesting man to talk to. Incidentally, the sparrows have nested in the roof of the Breakroom porch and protest loudly when we are sitting under them talking. I sat and watched them and discovered that they were flying backwards and forwards to my feeders for food for their babies. They have a ready supply close to hand. 

I made breakfast for me and something for the dogs but as usual, Sandy turned her nose up at the offering, which held her medication. It really is a problem in getting her to take it made worse because it’s supposed to be taken twice a day. I’m lucky if I can get her to take it once. The pills are too big to push down her throat.

For some reason, my right knee was sore making it hard to walk around. It is missing cartilage on the right side and sometime the bones rub together. An old soccer injury. Usually, it clears up in a couple of days as long as I am careful. 

I decided to put in a load of laundry and this time, set it for a continuous wash/dry for a change to see if it made any difference. Then I really had time on my hands and turned my attention to writing a poem. After several tries, I gave up as the writing juices were just not flowing and I could not get things to rhyme. 

I looked around for something else to do without resorting to watching TV and finding nothing, took a nap instead. I awoke about an hour later and we harnessed up and took a short walk. When we returned, the laundry was done so I went ahead to empty the machine so that I could fold and put away the clothes.

When I opened the washing machine door, the first thing that fell out were the three detergent additives that I had dropped in. They were all intact and I have no idea why they were not absorbed as they usually are. So, that meant that the wash was completed without the use of any detergent. I thought about starting the cycle over but decided that the wash was probably clean enough for me. 

The day was going really slowly, and I thought about going into town to the HEB. When I started on a grocery list, there were only a couple of items that I really needed, and they were not earth breaking. The trip was postponed for another day. So what if I runout of ice cream… 

I waited as long as I could before we went out for the last walk of the day. Even though it was later in the day and the shadows were getting long, it was still very hot. We did not go far as the dogs are having to put up with the heat, the hot blacktop and stickers when we walk on the grass. 

We returned to sit outside on the deck where there was a slight breeze blowing. I have also learned that if I keep the sliding doors half open and sit in the space created, the A/C blows out on me. We listened to an Audiobook before calling it a day and moving back inside for the rest of the evening. 
Written 07/15/2023. Read my other blog at

An Old Man and an RV. Henly RV Park,TX. Sunday 07/16/2023

I awoke to the sound of the alarm and lay there for a while trying to work up enough energy to actually get up. I must have dozed off because it was another 15 minutes before I got out of bed. Gary was already over at the Breakroom but before I wandered over with the dogs, I brought out the bird feeders which I had remembered to bring in the previous evening. Gratefully accepting the coffee that Gary offered me, we sat and chatted for a half hour.

I guess that the girls, whoever’s turn it was to walk Remington, had been out and about much earlier than us. They are well versed in getting up early as they normally start their workday around 5:00 am. That is one disgusting and unknown hour that I have never heard of or seen and nor do I want to, ever. 

Gary and I sat for a while before I considered it time to walk. We wandered around the park, and it was still sort of cool with a nice breeze blowing although it was forecast to reach 102 degrees later this afternoon. This sure is an extended heat wave we are currently having and no sign of rain anywhere.

At least, here in Texas, we are equipped to deal with the hot weather as almost every house/building is air conditioned. Our only fear is that the National Electrical Grid will be overloaded with more demand than supply of electricity. 

We wandered around dodging from one piece of shade to the next, and if the next shade was too far away, considering the merits of going forward and/or retracing our steps. Finally, we ended up back at The Caboose and went inside to enjoy the A/C and breakfast with me drinking Grapefruit juice rather than coffee. 

I spent the next couple of hours writing and posting the blog to keep us up to date. The rest of the afternoon was spent in a daze. I sort of dropped off to sleep but not entirely, sort of between being awake and being asleep. I can remember being between the two and the strange thoughts that I was having about what I was writing and what I was actually thinking. It was as though I was having an out of body experience. I put it down to reading way too many science fiction novels, or in my case, listening to too many. 

I snapped out of it and returned to a normal way of thinking and continued to work on the blog until it was time for one more walk around the park. We just wandered dodging from one shady area to the next and not interested in distance. We returned back to the RV and sat on the porch just passing time. It was hot but I sat in the open doorway to get the cool air from the RV. We sat until it got dark, and I had to turn on the outside lights to bring in the bird feeders. Once they were stowed away, we adjourned back inside of The Caboose for the rest of the evening. 

Written 07/16/2023. Read my other blog at