The Caboose in all of his glory.

I was up at a reasonable hour, for me, and as we usually do, we went out walking. We did not get very far as Daniel and Greg, who had just returned to the park, were drinking coffee in the Breakroom. I joined them and we chatted for a while before continuing with the walk. 

This time, because there was a nice breeze blowing and a lot of cloud cover which made it a whole lot cooler, we chose to walk down the hill on the outside road. This road actually dead ends and we did not go all the way to the end. Even so, we walked down it a half mile and obviously, another half mile coming back, which was a good start to the day. Amazing that it being a little cooler can make that much difference. 

Back at the RV, I brought out the bird feeders, including the ones that hang on the bird pole that the deer like so much refilling them as needed and then went inside for breakfast. Today, Sandy would not eat the food I gave her that contained her medication, meaning that she did not take her medicine. It is a struggle trying to find something that she likes enough to disguise the medication every day. 

I read the World news which was no different than yesterday bringing us up to date on current events. Then I sat and wrote the blog keeping us on schedule and looked around for other things to get up to. 

It seems that every day around this time, I start running out of things to do unless I am making a trip to go shopping or maybe a Doctors Appointment and such. Usually, I clean and tidy the RV or maybe even find something to do outside like watering the plants or spraying them with Deer deterrent. The easiest and best thing to do is to listen to an Audiobook… 

We went out for another walk around the campgrounds and then hit the outside road and down the hill to the bottom. It had cooled off enough to be almost comfortable although I still sweat a lot. 

Back at the RV, we sat outside listening to the Audiobook and drinking a beer and watching the world go by. We stayed there until it started to get dark and then it was time to bring in the feeders and take ourselves indoors for the evening meal and television.  

Written 09/12/2023. Read my other blog at  

An Old Man and an RV. Henly RV Park, TX. Wednesday 09/13/2023

I awoke at a reasonable hour and instead of getting up, I lay there dozing and just relaxing, not in any hurry to do anything. Eventually, I forced myself to crawl out of bed and start the process of facing another day. I wondered if the day would be like the rest or if it would bring something different. As I am not psychic nor can I see into the future, I will just have to wait and see what sort of a day it will be. 

The good thing is that it has clouded over and there is a chance of rain which we can really use. And, it has finally cooled down a little. 

We went out walking the park and taking one of the outside roads just to get the exercise before returning to The Caboose. I noticed that one of the bird feeders had fallen and lay broken with the seed spilt under the deck. Closer inspection revealed that the piece of wood I had screwed to the deck railing had split dumping 5 lbs. of seed. At least it is in one place so I can rescue most of it. 

As I did not have any other large bird seed containers, I hopped in the car for the short drive to Tractor Supply and found one that I liked and would hold about the same amount of seed. I drove back to the park and went to work reinstalling the bird hanger filled with the seed from the one that had dropped and broken. Nothing wasted and all of that…While I was at it, I strengthened the other hanger to make it more secure. 

With all of the feeders, there is a never-ending supply of birds all with different seed preferences or at least, ways to eat it. All are very wary and constantly on the lookout for any danger. 

While I was outside, I took the opportunity to water the plants. It looks like some of them might be growing so maybe the deer spray is working. Now, if we can just get some serious rain. Just a light shower or two would help. We do not need a gully washer as most of that just runs away and does not soak in. 

Back indoors, I fed the dogs and made breakfast and coffee for myself as it was closer to lunch than breakfast. Then I read the World and local news and caught up with the blog. 

I spent most of the afternoon on the couch listening to an Audiobook with a dog fast asleep on either side of me. Just one small happy family… 

Later on, we went out for a walk and just wandered around and then I received a message to the effect that we were eating again at the Break Room and be there at 5:30 pm if you know what’s good for you. The message was from one of the girls. This time, it was Gary that had done the cooking and he had meatloaf with all of the fixings. 

I took the dogs back to The Caboose and then wandered over to the Breakroom, being the last to arrive. Someone thrust a can of beer in my hands, and I did a double take as it was the smallest can of beer I had ever seen in my life. Everyone started laughing, I guess because of the look of utter amazement on my face at the smallness of the beer. I figured it would take two, maybe three good swallows and it would be gone. 

The meatloaf and fixings were very good, and I enjoyed it immensely. As usual, the company was exemplary, and we got to welcome Malinda back from her trip to visit her mom. 

We stayed for a couple of hours listening to some of the stories and yarns, especially from Daniel. That man can spin a good yarn and is very funny as he does it. He had us all in stitches and I noticed that even Malinda had to smile at his antics. 

The party broke up and we went out walking for the last time for the day. It had cooled off a bit which made for easier walking and the dogs appreciated the cooler weather. Back at the RV, I put the three bird feeders away in a deer proof place up on the deck and we adjourned indoors for the usual television and a glass of wine. 

Written 09/13/2023. Read my other blog at